Thursday, November 7, 2013

Apple Picking in Warwick, NY


My first apartment in New York City was right next to St. Nicholas Park located in Harlem. This is where I was first exposed to a real winter, spring and fall. I had NEVER seen seasons change growing up in south Florida.

Truthfully speaking, it has always been easy for me to find and plan activities during the summer. All I need is a rooftop, a fruity drink and some sun, and I am good to go. However, if you're having a bit of a challenge finding something to do this fall, let me introduce you to the wonderful world of apple picking. 


My first time apple picking was two years ago with my friend Gaby in New Jersey (I learned how to bake an apple pie from scratch this day). My second time was with my friend Rashida who planned an amazing day trip last fall to Applewood Orchards and Winery in Warwick, New York. Applewood Orchards is about an hour drive from Manhattan. I was so relieved to leave the hustle and bustle of New York City and enjoy the more relaxed parts of New York.



How It Works
  • Bring your own bag or purchase one for $1
  • Take a wagon ride to the orchards (I felt like a big kid during this)
  • Pick the best apples you can find (I avoided apples with dents like the plague)
  • Purchase your selected apples (half a bag is $13 and a full bag is $26)
  • Take lots of pictures! 






  
  
  

  
The second half of our day consisted of sampling different wines (white, red, blush and dessert), touring the gift shop and lunch at a restaurant nearby. Wine tasting was only $6 per person.






The season is almost over as it’s starting to get colder. So try to make it there as soon as possible. Simply Google search apple orchards near your city or town.


Applewood Orchards and Winery
82 4 Corners Rd, Warwick, NY 10990
www.applewoodorchards.com

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment