Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bonjour Montréal

If you haven't been to Paris, France, trust me you want to make it there at least once in your lifetime. As much as I can't wait to return to Europe (my last visit was June 2007), I know it can be quite expensive. No worries.....I found an alternative! Earlier this June, I took a quick trip to  Montréal, Québec (Canadian province) for my birthday weekend. I've been there before in 2009 to visit my cousin Sierra, during the middle of winter (never doing that again) and it’s a completely different experience during the summer.




Getting There

My trip started off a little shaky with some engine problems on the plane, resulting in everyone on-board switching to a new plane. First thing first, traveling to Montréal from New York City or from the east coast period is drastically cheaper. My round-trip plane ticket was approximately $370, still kind of pricey, but it’s the better option when compared to a 10-hour Amtrak ride or the 6-hour drive. A plane ticket to Europe can cost you anywhere from $700 USD to $1,000 USD during peak-season; then you have to factor housing accommodations, food, activities and nightlife. Your trip can easily head in the $2,000 to $2,500 range if you're coming from the U.S.

The Whispering Ladies 

Walking Tour of Old Montréal

As soon as you enter Québec, you’ll hear French language. "Bonjour Mademoiselle" is what I heard. I responded back with my well-rehearsed "Bonjour, Comment ça va?”, which means “Good day, how is it going?” That's as far as my French goes. I can't give you anymore than that. I enjoyed the walking tour around Old Montréal courtesy of Tourisme Montréal and would recommend you do the same. Cobblestone paved road and cathedrals could be found every few blocks (including the cathedral where singer Celine Dion was married). Old Montréal is the epitome of a small French town with most of their old buildings still standing. Make sure to take a stroll down the Old Port.  


Our tour guide was AMAZING!




There was a bike tour going on that weekend





Old Montréal in 1805
Old Montréal Now


Practicing my French

This is where Celine Dion was married


The chapel behind the cathedral 


Subway time!



Old Port

Sunday Funday!


Housing Accommodations

Instead of staying in a traditional hotel I went for something more spacious and cost effective. Read about my Airbnb experience in Montréal. {Click Here}  



Local Eateries

I went grocery shopping the first day, so I could cook on this trip instead of eating out the entire time. One evening, I made a stop at Boris Bistro, which was a great idea for outdoor seating. The crème brûlée was amazing here! For something more causal, I indulged in a very tasty crepe at Creperie Chez Suzette that Sunday afternoon. Both restaurants are located in Old Montréal.





Creperie Chez Suzette

The dish Poutine is very popular
  

Nightlife

Montréal nightlife was pretty calm, if you ask me. However, I'm from Miami, FL and currently live in New York City so I may not be the best person to comment on this. My cousin and I stopped by the W Hotel, which was very chic with a mature crowd. We made a second stop, on Crescent Street which has a strip of pubs and dive bars.
My cousin Sierra in the LBD

Additional Activities
  • Montréal Biodome (recommended if you have children)
  • Olympic Stadium (the 1976 Summer Olympics were held here) 
  • Visit to Mount Royal (great view of the city)
  • Palais des congès de Montréal (convention center)
  • St. Joseph's Oratory
Biodome
Convention Center

Thank you Tourisme Montréal 
www.tourisme-montreal.org

Have you been to Montréal before? What was your experience?
Leave a comment

No comments:

Post a Comment