Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Couch Surfing: Would You Do It?



Photo Credit: Adventure Journal



Earlier this Spring, I met avid traveler Alexandra Quint at the Inaugural New York Travel Festival. We just left a very informative breakout session about women traveling solo when I started to ask her questions about her past travels. 

During the conversation I discovered that we both spent some time in Spain. However, instead of staying in a hotel, hostel or apartment she decided to go "couch surfing". I swear I learn something new about traveling each and everyday. Couch surfing  is basically in the title. Staying on a complete strangers couch for free as you travel around the world  or as the organizers like to call it "friends that you haven't met yet" Check out the interview below.
  
Alexandra Quint

Q: Have you ever lived abroad?
A: Yes, I studied abroad in Italy and lived with a host family.

Q: Where did you most recently couch surf?
A: Grenada and Seville, Spain

Q: Was that your first time?
A: No

Q: What was that experience like?
A: For the most part it was fine. However, while traveling solo my male host started to flirt with me. It made me uncomfortable.

Q: What did your family have to say about you couch surfing?
A: My family thought I was crazy. They thought it was unsafe and I would be sold into the sex slave trade.

Q: Any advice about traveling solo?
A: Women shouldn't travel solo to Morocco without a man.

Q: Where are you traveling next?
A: The Philippines, Cambodia and Malaysia





What do you think about couch surfing? Would you ever do it?


No comments:

Post a Comment