Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What Inspires You to Travel?

Do you ever wonder why some people find themselves in constant search for something more in life while the others look content? How it seems that going to their 9-5's, watching reality T.V. shows and maintaining the same routine is all that their heart desires. Yea, me too!! I don't think I really knew myself until I started to travel. I was only 12 years old when I took my first memorable trip. I could remember it like it yesterday. I went on a 4-day college tour to Atlanta, Georgia. I'm originally from Miami, Florida so to most this would probably be considered just a simple trip. However, for me I finally realized how much the U.S. had to offer beyond my immediate neighborhood. 

Meeting new people, trying new foods and learning about new places in person instead of from a book vastly expanded my interests. I stepped out of my shell, became more confident and started trusting my decisions more. You see, that first college tour trip to Atlanta, GA forced me to communicate with new people and remove myself from the comfort zone I loved so dearly. This is when I was bitten by the travel bug as most avid travelers like to say. 

Top: Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge with my cousin Sierra ; PALMS Hotel in Las Vegas w/ a college friend
Bottom: Enjoying the view in San Juan, Puerto Rico; At the Official 2013 Inaugural Ball in Washington, D.C.

What inspires me the most about travel is that unknown factor, the potential for a new adventure. I like to plan the basics when it comes to trips, such as transportation, housing accommodation and at least one non-touristy activity but nothing too crazy. I feel like there has to be an element of surprise.

Left to Right: Top of a cathedral in Valencia, Spain; The Fontainbleau Hotel in Miami Beach;  Le Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, French desert Profiteroles; Versailles in Paris, France, My mom and I at South Street Seaport in NYC and a Weekend Girls trip to Paris!
When I applied for my very own passport I was 20 years old. I was just accepted in a Study Abroad program and I was off to Valencia, Spain. In hindsight, this is when I realized that traveling is so much more. In my early 20's I will admit that I was a bit close-minded and saw things from a unilateral perspective, which was MY perspective. Well living in another country where you don't speak the language immediately demands a change in your outlook. I progressively adapted and learned that other cultures, languages and traditions were quite similar to my own. 

Soon, I began to take in each moment and kept it close in mind, reflecting often. Travel inspires me to keep going and to never give up. It inspires me to look a little deeper into someone’s eyes because everyone has a story. Travel keeps me on my toes by trying new challenges, whether I’m out of town or in my own urban playground. I love traveling- actually it’s safe to say that I am in love with traveling. The definition of inspiration is a divine influence directly and immediately exerted upon the mind or soul. Travel is my inspiration!


What's your inspiration? 

4 comments:

  1. Well said...especially the inspiration definition

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire planet inspires me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! Don't forget to sign-in so I can see your beautiful name and smile :)

      Delete