Monday, March 4, 2013

Spirit Airlines= Frustation

So I spent Thanksgiving 2012 in my hometown Miami, Florida and had a great time with my family and close friends. However, I did not enjoy the bootleg method I used to commute home..which is also known as Spirit Airlines. I vowed to never fly Spirit Airlines EVER again after they overbooked my flight 2 years ago and booted me to another airline on a major holiday. Yet, somehow my memory faded and I found myself coaxed once again by their cheap prices. If you have never seen the movie Soul Plane, it stars comedian Kevin Hart, let me paint a picture for you. He wins a settlement and then starts his own ghetto fabulous airline with the proceeds. Spirit Airlines would be the sister company Soul Plane or at least its first cousin.


Check out this ridiculousness 




$100 at the gate! Say what now?!

Spirit Airlines will charge you for EVERYTHING! They charge for checked luggage (like most airlines do nowadays) but here is the kicker - they charge you $5 more for a carry-on! Who does that?! They charge if you choose your own seat in advance and for airline fuel. I’m surprised I didn't have to pay a fee for my seat belt or to use the restroom (I bet this is in the works).
Last but not least, if you find yourself thirsty or even hungry, don’t even think for a second that you are getting something on this airline. My flight was 3 hours long and I didn't even get a cup of water or a bag of cookies. I was tempted to ask the stewardess for a cup of ice and pray it would melt fast enough to quench my thirst but, I decided against it. I guess you get what you pay for. Never again! And I mean it this time.

Have you ever flown with Spirit Airlines? What was your experience like?

5 comments:

  1. So I saw this article in the satirical Onion and immediately thought of your post; you were well ahead of the curve :-)
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/faa-report-spirit-airlines-is-the-fucking-worst,32371/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This article about Spirit Airlines is definitely the TRUTH!I refuse to ever fly with them again. I honestly don't know how they are still in business. Thanks for sharing Joseph!

      Delete
  2. I live in Miami, FL and the ONLY time I would ever fly on a Spirit plane is to Orlando, FL, a 40 min. flight. Out of the state of Florida, I would NOT be caught flying Spirit. Seats are too small and the so called deluxe seats in the front that they make you pay extra for are not even worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, C. Denise I agree with you completely! Sometimes the cheap prices makes me give Spirit Airlines a double look but then I remember what my last flight with them was like and come back to my senses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Past comments from wordpress platform:

    I too have had many bad experiences with Spirit Airlines! They seem to almost ALWAYS double book my seat and then I am the passenger that is asked to fly on the next flight or promised a "fancy" future credit. Little did they know, that plane was NOT leaving without me on it so something always gets worked out. #BootlegAirline
    -Tia Wright

    Great post, but like most of us Spirit will get you even after you swear them off. Personally I haven't had any bad experiences with them, but I think that is because I've learned from the experiences of others. I only use spirit when I'm going somewhere for less than 4 days, or only traveling a short distance (Ft. Lauderdale-Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale-Atl). What I've learned to avoid are baggage fees, I only check bags with spirit if I'm traveling to Jamaica. I learned to pack efficiently a small bag that fits under the seat (a weekender bag) that they count as a "personal item" which means my purse is tucked inside. Major moral of the story.. FLY SOUTHWEST-- 2 free checked backs, free carry on, no change fee, spacious, pick your own seat and they serve pretzels.. lol

    Great Blog LaToya.. can't wait to see the rest of your post.

    -Megan Caldwell

    ReplyDelete