Saturday, December 7, 2013

Québec City, Québec: Best Day Trip Ever!

Have you ever visited a city that was so mesmerizing that you knew you would return? Well, that's how I felt when I arrived in Québec  City, Québec. Earlier this summer, I took a 4-day trip to Québec  the French speaking province in Canada. I spent two days in Montréal {Read Here} and spent my third day in Québec City. Montréal is a busy, tourist-filled city compared to Québec City, which is a quaint, calm and peaceful town.

Québec City is only a two-hour drive from Montréal (a special thanks to my cousin Sierra for letting me borrow her car). I took a quick glance through my travel guide book and set out to begin my day. The thing about day trips is that you should not over plan them. You just don't have enough time to do so.

 
 I spent the entire day in Old Québec City




 In front of Fairmont Le Château Frontenac 


  

William Van Horne, General Manager of Canadian Pacific (CP) Railway, began building the hotel as the ideal stopover for travelers. It is now a luxury hotel (they no longer allow tours, but I was able to get a sneak peek inside). 


I strolled down the board walk, listened to live music and enjoyed the calmness. 

One thing I noticed was that all the signs and directions were in French. Compared to Montréal where the signs was in both English and French.

I also learned some history about the Battle of the Plains of Abraham also known as the Battle of Québec. In a nutshell, this was a pivotal battle between the British Army and the French Army. So if you ever wondered why Québec is the only French speaking province in Canada, (like I did), it's because they lost this battle in Québec City. The British allowed Québec City to maintain their French culture. However, the rest of Canada was theirs.


The highlight of my day trip was this mouthwatering meal and the glass of French red wine to go with it!



 

French dessert: Profiterole (cream puff)



What's the best day trip you've ever had? 

2 comments:

  1. Your blog always has really great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I really do love taking pictures. I hope as I continue blogging that I'm able to develop my skills even more.

    ReplyDelete