Monday, April 13, 2015

The Poconos: Skytop Lodge Resort




Who says you have to travel far to experience a winter jet-away? Although, the winter season is FINALLY over (it’s been the longest winter ever), it’s never too late to get a head start on next year. Now that I have some down time-my new role at work as a Business Banker has me exhausted most days- I can share my experience about skiing in the Poconos and my time spent at Skytop Lodge Resort.
             
Towards the end of 2014,  I was looking for an affordable escape from this brutal winter and decided on the Bahamas. However, after some unexpected life events decided on committing to a trip that was in the tri-state area. So here’s how I made the best of my weekend trip in the Poconos!

Transportation
I decided to take Martz Trailways bus line for our trip the Poconos instead of renting a car. My ticket was $73 round-trip from Penn Station to the Mt. Pocono bus stop. I then called Skytop’s front desk after booking my bus ticket to arrange a pick-up with their shuttle bus. The bus ride was 2 hours long and the shuttle from the bus stop to the lodge was only 20 minutes. My advice is to call ahead and make sure your name and correct pick-up time is on their list. 


On the shuttle bus



Skytop Lodge Resort
Now this is what I call old-world charm! This was the first time I’ve ever stayed in a lodge and I was very impressed. Skytop Lodge reminds me of a chateau that you would see in France or any other region with French influence. If you ever been to a country or members only club, then this is exactly what Skytop feels like…very exclusive. Opened in 1928, Skytop’s story was envisioned and brought to life by 4 men who wanted to create a resort for families, couples and more to visit throughout the year. This hidden gem is settled nicely at the mountaintops of the Poconos. We stayed at the Main Lodge because I wanted easy access to the indoor pool, jacuzzi, gym and multiple fireplaces throughout the lodge. However, you also have the option of a more intimate feel by reserving a room at the Inn or Cottage. Since I’ve grown accustomed to more modern art deco type of hotels, staying at a lodge was a very different, yet enjoyable experience.



The Main Lodge


Relaxing in front of the fireplace




Pictures of former guests at Skytop
The Ladies Locker Room

Winter Activities
I ended up booking the “Winter Family Fun” package which I would recommend so you don’t have to worry about paying for every activity out of pocket. The package included skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, snow shoeing and tobogganing. Additional activities that was not included in the package was snow tubing, ice fishing, hiking, dog sledding through Artic Paws Dog Sled Tours and many more activities. I opted for ice skating and skiing (with a ski lesson) because, I  went too late in the season to go dog sledding or tobogganing (both were closed and I was very sad about this).





 



My private ski lesson was much needed!


What to Wear
The truth is winter trips can be very pricey! Compared to typical vacations were you can just wear your regular clothes; you can’t do the same for winter trips. For skiing and/or snowboarding you will need a base layer (think water-restraint long johns), mid-layer (fleece sweater and water-restraint leggings) and outer wear (ski jacket and ski pants). You want to stay as warm and dry as possible. You’ll also need thick ski gloves, ski goggles, and a hat or helmet. I first went shopping at Paragon Sports, but if you’re not an experienced skier, I would shop with caution. Ski pants here could run you anywhere from $110-$400 (too rich for my blood). 

Next step, head to the sales rack! I purchased my ski pants Paragon on the sales rack for $90 a few years ago. You could try more affordable places like Burlington Coat Factory or Marshall’s for outer ski gear and Old Navy or Target for your base and mid layer. You could also rent your ski gear from Mountain Threads. If you are familiar with Rent-the-Runway, it’s pretty much the same concept. I was able to rent a ski jacket, ski pants, ski goggles and gloves all for $112. They could deliver the package to your home, office or to the ski resort directly (perfect if you don’t want to travel with heavy ski clothes). You mail the rented clothes back once your trip is over. Simple! As a last resort... borrow ski clothes from a friend!



Paragon Sports


Dining Experience
I spent majority of our time dining at the Windsor Dining Room. I selected the package that included the breakfast, lunch and dinner option. It was sort-of like an all-inclusive deal. It was a cost effective option, which allowed us not to worry about paying for anything once we got there. Dinner was formal (men cannot enter without a jacket on); a 4-course menu (appetizer, soup or salad, main entrée and dessert) was served each night and reservations must be made in advance. The cuisine and service was impeccable! The highlight of the night was having the hotel manager stop by my table to introduce himself. On our last day before getting back on the road I had lunch at the Tap Room for a more relax feel…think your local sports bar.


Dinner at the Windsor Dining Room


Drinks at the Tap Room












Final Travel Tips

If I had to do it again I would plan my winter trip from December-February. I went the 2nd weekend in March and some activities were closed because it wasn’t cold enough.

Make sure to enjoy the pool, jazzcui and spa. I never really took advantage of hotel amenities but now I do!

Don’t be afraid to chit chat with other guests. I did and it definitely added to our trip.


Skytop doesn’t have a ski lift they use what is called a pomalift.


If you don’t want to be around children, this not the place for you. Skytop is a family-friendly resort.  

The bar doesn’t open until Noon. Keep this in mind if you can’t live without mimosas during an early brunch.

There’s a bonfire every night at 8:30pm. Skytop provides the marshmallows. Get there early! I got there too late and missed out (insert sad face emoji).






Good News: Skytop Lodge is open year round, so you don’t have to wait until next winter to visit! As their website states, guests continue to return because of “the spring flowers, summer adventures, fall foliage or winter wonders."

Thank you again Skytop Lodge for upgrading my King Room to a King Suite with a mountain view and for the impeccable hospitality throughout our entire trip!


Skytop Lodge
One Skytop
Skytop, PA 18357


Have you ever been on a winter trip? If not, is it something you would do?


4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved reading this blog! It was very informative and disruptive. I will most definitely recommend this blog to my friends. Good job LaToya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sierra. I'm glad you enjoy it. Thanks for the support =)

      Delete
  2. Great job Toya...I think Sierra had an auto correct issue^discriptive. Which I agree the blog was. Looks and sounds like a great experience! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think she meant descriptive as well. lol. Thank you so much for the support. I'm glad you enjoyed this piece.

    ReplyDelete