Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cherry Blossoms: Brooklyn Editon!



Have you ever walked into a place and have your eyes light up like a kid at Disney World? Well, that's exactly how I felt when I attended the Sakura Matsuri at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden the last weekend in April. I was completely memerized at what appeared before me. This was the perfect start to "Springtime in the City" minus the fact that my allergies have been out of control this season, making Zyrtec my new best friend.

"Cherry Walk" at Brooklyn Botanic Garden

First, a little background on this festival that celebrates both traditional and contemporary Japanese culture. "Sakura" is the Japanese term for cherry trees and their blossoms and "Matsuri" means festival. Put it together and you get "Cherry Blossom Festival"! To my surprise, there are no cherries on cherry blossom trees, they are only ornamental. However, you can find actual cherries on cherry fruit trees.

In 1912, Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo presented as a gift 3,020 cherry trees to honor and celebrate the lasting friendship that was established between Japan and the U.S. Currently, you can also find these trees in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany,The Netherlands, United Kingdom, South Korea and Turkey. 


Cherry Blossoms in Tokyo, Japan Photo Credit: Flickr
In Japan, cherry blossoms symbolize clouds due to there nature of blooming, which can last anywhere from five to fourteen days. The transience of the blossoms, the extreme beauty and quick death has been associated with morality and Buddhistic influence. In short, they are extraordinarily beautiful and will take your breath away but won't stay around for very long, so enjoy them while you can!


This little girl is the cutest in her traditional kimono. I just LOVE her smile!



Brooklyn Botanic Garden Cosplay Fashion Show. Photos by Mike Ratliff (left) and Jason Gardner (right)

"You can't move forward, without giving back"


After Hurricane Sandy hit New York and surrounding regions there was so much suffering and damage done. Brooklyn Botanic Garden was inspired to create this tree house to symbolize hope and revitalization.

I stepped away from the Cherry Blossoms to explore the rest of the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. The Aquatic House is a must see!





At the Bonsai Museum



At the Tropical Pavillion, which reminds me of my hometown Miami, Florida.

At the Desert Pavillion



 
Looking at some of the traditional kimonos. They were a bit pricey if you ask me around $120 USD.


I took a stroll around the Japanese Hill-and Pond Garden to view some of the other plants and flowers from Japan.




I also took a quick break to watch a mock Samurai Sword fight. It was too comical, therefore, I didn't last longer than 10 minutes. If you don't have children this show is not for you.
Took a few pics at the "Cherry Esplanade Lawn" where my floral shorts blended in quite well. lol
'
Overlooking the "Cherry Esplande Lawn" Photo Credit: Rebecca Bullene



Farewell "Cherry Blossoms" until we meet again...hopefully in a different city! I'm thinking the "National Cherry Blossom Festival" in Washington, D.C. next year.


At the Tidal Basin in Washington, D.C. Photo Credit: CWG  photographer Kevin Ambrose

At the Tidal Basin in Washington, D.C. Photo Credit: CWG  photographer Kevin Ambrose


Brooklyn Botanic Garden
990 Washington Avenue
New York, NY 11238
www.bbg.org

Disclaimer- All pictures without a "photo credit" was taken by yours truly!


Have you seen the Cherry Blossoms this Spring or visited a Botanical Garden before?

3 comments:

  1. Great post Toya! I was absolutely amazed myself and cannot believe it took me 5 years to go to the Tidal Basin to experience the Cherry talk for myself! Keep writing! I enjoy reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britney!I can't believe it took me 5 years to see the Cherry Blossoms as well. I'm really glad you enjoyed my post...more coming your way!

      Delete
  2. Hi, great photos. Next time you attend the festival make sure you purchase a cherry blossom candle. They smell wonderful! Keep up the good work. We'll talk later...

    ReplyDelete