Sunday, March 1, 2015

Travel Year in Review: 2014 Most Memorable Moments (Part II)

Can you believe that it’s March already?! I feel like I just finished dancing the night away on New Year’s Eve night, with my too tight, green sparkly dress on. Nevertheless, before I just dive into planning my first trip for 2015, I wanted to share the second half of my travels in 2014. Although, I did not take any international trips last year, (I made a promise to myself to do so every year) I had an amazing time exploring more of the U.S.


Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (City of Brotherly Love)

Traveling to Philadelphia was not on my list at all. My first time in Philly was in summer 2009 with my old roomie.  Honestly, the city didn’t excite me much. Therefore, I had no immediate desire to return. That all changed the moment Beyoncé and Jay-Z announced their “On the Run” tour taking place July 4th weekend. Then it was like Philly here I come! After experiencing, what I like to refer to as the BEST concert in my life, I was able to see the “City of Brotherly Love” in a better light. With only a short 2-hour car ride from NYC, it’s perfect if you just want a quick jet away. After checking into our hotel located in the Downtown area near City Hall, my friend Jennel and I began to walk around. Here are just a few must see stops if you’re thinking about traveling to Philly this Spring or Summer. I’ll go into more detail in a later post. 



Check out the murals…they are everywhere. I’ve never seen a city like this! The artistry is another on level and I found myself lost in a daze and on the hunt for the next one. Most of the artwork (not graffiti) can be found on the side of buildings, rooftops, bridges and garages in Philadelphia. The city is a walking art exhibit…just remember to look up and be observant so you don’t miss one. I found quite a few walking towards South Street. Philadelphia’s Magic Garden is also a sight to see. It’s an indoor art exhibit created with mosaic artwork and recyclable materials. It is open daily and is $7 for adults, $5 for students and $3 for children. Lastly, it wouldn’t be a trip to Philly without trying a Philly Cheesesteak . The best place to get a Philly cheesesteak in my opinion is at Jim’s Steaks located on South Street. The wait is long but it will be worth it. 



City Hall in Downtown Philly




The "Love Sign" at the Love Park

Check out this detailed mural







Chicago, Illinois (The Windy City)

The second weekend in July, I was off to Chicago also known as Chi-Town. It was time for my family reunion! I was looking forward to spending quality time with my family and anticipating what this year’s reunion T-shirt would look like. This was also my second time in Chicago. The first time was during my junior year in college. I went during the winter. Listen to me…NEVER visit Chicago during the winter. Most of my time in Chicago was spent with my cousins, uncles and aunts; we laughed, told jokes, shared childhood memories and spoke about our family history.  As a family we had lunch on a yacht that took us around Navy Pier. This is a great way to experience Navy Pier and see the Chicago skyline at the same time. My cousin Dominique and I also took a trip to the infamous Willis Tower later that day. The Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears Tower, is a 108-story skyscraper located in Downtown Chicago and is the second tallest building in the U.S. If you make your way here, go ahead and pay the small entrance fee to visit the observation deck. If you aren’t afraid of heights (I’m not) then check out “The Ledge”. It has a glass floor and you can see everything and I do mean everything!



Chicago's Skyline

The Westbrooks' Family Reunion


At the Skydeck in the Willis Tower







Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Home Sweet Home)

I try to make my way home to Florida at least 2 to 3 times a year. I purchased a multi-city flight this time (I flew from NY to Chicago, from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale, from Ft. Lauderdale back to NY). Although, this trip home was spent mostly relaxing on my back porch and inside our home with the central air condition, (something that doesn’t exist in most NYC apartments) I was able to squeeze some fun in there. I had breakfast at Cracker Barrel (a southern-styled restaurant where the food will have you coming back for more) with my mom and grandmother. The 3 of us rented a bike-cart and took it for a stroll down Hollywood Beach; this was a new experience for all of us. I was also able to spend time with my bestie, Sophia, at a music and arts festival in Miami. So even if you’re just heading home for a quick visit, do something you’ve never done before in your hometown. 



My grandmother beat me at checkers



Hollywood Beach in Ft. Lauderdale






Washington, D.C. (The Nation’s Capital)

This past August was my mother’s birthday. I can’t share her age because if I did I wouldn’t be alive to share anymore of my travel experiences with you. Nevertheless, as a family we started this new tradition where we travel for her birthday. She’s never been to Washington, D.C. so I was so excited when she told me this is where she wanted to spend her special day. My mother and my step-father flew up from Florida.  I took a Mega Bus down from New York. I’ve been travelling to D.C. since I was 12 years old. Now that I live in NY, I travel there so often it’s like a second home. A round-tip bus ticket is like $22. They wanted a typical “D.C” experience. If you haven’t visited our nation’s capital or if you haven’t been in a long time, I encourage you to do so. It’s a very clean city and all of the museums and monuments are FREE! If you’re a history lover like me this city will keep you intrigued. 



The White House

The view from The Capitol

Inside of the Pentagon



The National Harbor in Maryland

Sitting outside the Library of Congress, it's closed on Sundays


Atlantic City, New Jersey (Life on the Boardwalk)

My last trip of the year was completely random. This was my only “new” city for the year and I was really excited. I’m a strong believer that you should visit or try something new once every year. I heard of Atlantic City many times before and can’t believe after 6 years of living in Manhattan that I’ve never been. It’s dubbed the “Las Vegas” of the east coast. However, if you’ve been to Vegas before, then Atlantic City is NO comparison. I still had a great time. It was only a 2 hour bus ride from Manhattan. I stayed at Harrah’s Resort where I fell in love with their indoor pool with multiple hot tubs. I gambled a little but not that much, went to the comedy show held at Tropicana’s (located on the strip), and had dinner at Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar located in the same hotel. The highlight of my weekend trip to Atlantic City was walking down the boardwalk, stopping by the Atlantic City Historical Museum located at the end of the boardwalk, having dinner at the seafood buffet (Harrah’s Resort) and escaping from New York for 2 short days. I definitely plan on revisiting during the summer time. 

At the end of The Boardwalk!

Took a stroll down The Boardwalk

Just finished having an amazing Cuban dinner




Are you planning any U.S. based trips this upcoming spring or summer? Are any of these cities on your list?



1 comment:

  1. Make your travel a frequent water boat with us :-The jet ski tour new york city to be the act in which somewhat thought of effort is finished. If new york city water tour complete you must to permission the effort by a amount of other habits as it has remained all supposed and delivered. There Manhattan island boat tour numerous habits which will assistance in implementation and once it becomes over here is abundant to be new york city boat tour.

    ReplyDelete